Music Banter - View Single Post - What's the huge appeal of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #283 (permalink)
Spectralmusic
Contemporary Composer

To put my intention as clear as possible, I am only throwing together my thoughts together on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDG14 View Post
Sorry if I sound like I'm being my usual critical self, but something I really want to know is why many regard The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as one of the best albums of all time, because I gave it a listen and didn't like any of the songs on it

.......and also try and justify the reason why it was so popular, when I regard it as one of my least favourite popular albums of that era.
in the discussion.

Now I relate somewhat to some of his comments on it, though I still like "Within you, Without you" and "A day in the life" reasonably much.

Now, when there is immense popularity, cultural recognition and/or seemingly universal influence being thrown around behind the claims we've talked so much about, I will quite obviously want to investigate.

I don't seem to have succeeded but I have tried to be as clear and eloquent as possible in my discussion on this topic. Again, my side of the conversation hasn't been against them (even the cynical hyperbole I started off with), but I can't just take something (even that I cherish) at face value because life is far more complicated than that.