Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Mumble Rap Punk?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lucem Ferre
Cuter Than Post Malone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
From what I've seen artists called "mumble rap" are what I more respectfully call Trap.

I've listened to Lil Yachty, the example you cite. Like most of those guys he relies on a hypnotic style that doesn't seem very easy to pull off to me. I don't think they're rebelling against older hip hop. I don't think they care about having anything to rebel against. So no I don't think it's like punk which was a back to basics backlash against prog basically. I also think the stereotype of popular punk musicians being incompetent instrumentalist is greatly exaggerated. They couldn't do what Yes and Pink Floyd did but the bands that caught on could construct reasonable songs.
Mumble rappers rap under the trap genre but I wouldn't just call them trap because then people would just think trap is mumble rap.

I think they are rebelling against older hip hop. Lil Yaghty said he didn't give a damn about 2Pac or Biggie, says he doesn't care about lyrics he just cares that it sounds good. He himself is essentially breaking the rules of what people say a rapper needs to do. Like I already mentioned though, it's not so much about the rebellion but the idea that they push the conventions of hip hop that is forced down upon us. The same way Death Grips pushed those conventions. Or ****, half the hipster rappers that people adore seem to push those conventions. Moore Mother. NAH. Won't include Run The Jewels or Danny Brown because even though both push the limits of what can be rapped over neither really stray from the conventional flows or rapping patterns and keep the technical ability that the hip hop community demands.
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote