Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do we criticise?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

I don't know, why does anyone do anything? Overall I agree with what LoathsomePete said.

My perspective on all this partly depends upon the thing being criticized; I feel it's perfectly fine and good to be able to analyze and criticize art, media and one's aesthetic tastes without also automatically criticizing those (their entire being and character, even) who enjoy the things you're criticizing in such a dismissive way. As for why..? I don't know, I'm sure it varies quite a bit. I'm sure many just like to demonstrate their supposedly superior taste, but I doubt that's the case for most; I don't think most of us have one specific reason or motive when we express criticism of any given thing in our day-to-day life. (If I'm going on and on about a movie I like for instance, usually it's just expressing my love of it for the sake of it, but other times I do it in hopes of someone else reading it and relating to it/offering other different perspectives.)
But there are those condescending types who act as though they're giving a TED talk to a completely clueless audience whenever they present even a minor criticism or opinion of anything. (There's usually one of them at every party or social gathering. If someone mentions liking something they have to one-up them immediately, as opposed to just being genuinely enthusiastic about sharing something they think others would like.)

I'm glad that I can enjoy a wide spectrum of less than stellar media while being aware of its glaring flaws. I try not to allow my entire identity/self-worth to hinge solely upon what I consume, but others do exactly that, (and might be more likely to severely criticize things which are different than the ones they're passionate about) and are proud of it even, which I don't fault them for, seeing as we all develop our identities and self-confidence in different ways.

Regarding politics, societal norms and religion, (and also literature) I think criticism is good and healthy (though I think many can overboard when it comes to demonizing religious people) seeing as our daily lives are majorly affected by such things-- it makes sense to criticize and question them. Obviously, if I encounter a neo-nazi, or someone who goes out of their way to excuse, coddle and defend those people and systems which directly or indirectly exploit or harm others, I'm going to be a bit critical of them as a person.

When it comes to criticizing another person's physical appearance, though... Even though it's often done in a joking way, I still hate it (especially when it's done with that awful, patronizing type of faux concern)-- that is, when it's a criticism of some aspect of their appearance that they have no control over, or their weight. When someone does that frequently and relentlessly to just about everyone, I'm sure it's just due to their own festering self-hatred. People tend to think horrible things about their own looks in their head all the time, after all, which I guess can make them feel it's okay to talk to others in the same way. (And yes obviously there's a difference between a lazy joke and real actual criticism.)
Chiomara is offline   Reply With Quote