Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Mumble Rap Punk?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dylstew
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I feel like hip hop was the punk of hip hop

Much of it is commercialized to all hell now but it was like punk where there's almost no barrier to entry
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I don't even like Lil Yachty, but I appreciate the lack of concern for traditional hip hop standards. People will insist all day long, up and down the street that music shouldn't have any creative restrictions, and yet when it comes to hip hop then "it's a lyrical genre" so of course you must have complex, multi-syllabic lyrics to make Robert Frost jealous, and the flow must be rhythmically complex as well, or else you won't sound like you're trying to be the best MC on earth.

**** that. The funny thing is that black people I've known don't seem to care all that much about that ****, whereas white people can be downright fascist. I suspect the crackers are just insecure about listening to a traditionally black genre and swallow whatever restrictive bull**** they think they need to so people won't think they're ignorant honkies.
That was a grade a rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB17 View Post
But Punk didn't invent the idea of rebelling to a genre and strip down its sound to the basics, it did invent the idea of rebelling to Rock music of its time.
So, even assuming the mumbled rap trap thing is indeed rebellious towards the rules of Hip Hop, that doesn't make it any more Punk than Basketball is like Hockey 'cause you still shove a thing into a net.
If we see punk as a set of ideals like in this thread, than something can fall under those/some of those ideals or not. Doesn't really matter if it was the first thing ever to invent it. We could use those other things to describe it as well, but the thread is about it happening to fall in line with punk.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote