Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #9291 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Holy ****, it's been a few days since I first played Half-Life 2 and I haven't picked it back up since for no good reason. Started it back up an hour ago and god damn is it still so ****ing amazing. I still dig CoD on occasion, cause it's a pretty intense game when it's doing it right, and I thought that Half-Life wouldn't quite hold up in that regard cause it's so old, but Jesus Christ does it do way more with way less.

Gonna put the rest in a spoiler just to make sure that someone like me who's never played Half-Life 2 doesn't get level design spoiled.

Spoiler for spoilers:
So when I first encountered those mouth things on the ceiling that grab you with their tongues, I was intimidated. There was always hardly any space to maneuver around them and you didn't want to waste your limited ammo on each one when it wouldn't even kill them, just make them temporarily lift their tongues. So you had to be tactical about which ones you shot and you'd still be surrounded by the things while you made your way through a narrow safe path. Tense as ****.

Then I had an epic battle with two cops armed with pistols that was one of the most intense gaming experiences I've ever had. I could have killed them outright but then lost a bunch of health because they were in an elevated position and I had no cover. Instead I made my way through the only path forward while they would just pop up and kick barrels of burning gasoline at me while I was in a pit full of water and then shoot down at me. But then I finally got a car to hide behind with them on the same level I was and it was the best feeling in the world when I gunned them down like animals.

And I had 10 more health and significantly more ammo than when I fought them outright. 10 health is big **** too. This game forces you to ration health just like ammo. How ****ing awesome is that?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 06-23-2017 at 09:35 PM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote