Music Banter - View Single Post - Let The Batlord Get You into ICP
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 02:33 AM   #71 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
You liked them because they were goofy. Just say it. And sadly half the time the aren't aware of it. I don't think the styles they borrowed from were better than the actually genres. Especially with newer **** and them jumping on the edm rap bandwagon. I don't think they are better for having Mike Clark though I do think Mike Clark is better than Fritz hands down. Fritz had his moment on Freek Show, but ****ing sucks now. And I think a lot of Green Books production wasn't so good.

Dude, I guarantee I've heard more from ICP than you. I know what they have to offer. Like I said, every once in a while they have a good song. But it's not something that connects to me anymore. I feel there are plenty of artists that do what they do but better. With out the goofy antics that keep you entertained but I don't want to hear. Yeah, they are a lot more talented in other aspects than a lot give them credit for, but they say stupid ****. It's not how technical it is. It's that I don't want to hear the stupid goofy **** that they say. I feel the same way about a lot of the genre.

It's like, ICP are these B list slasher flicks. Where a lot of what people enjoy from them is the cheesey campy fun bit of the films. While I may enjoy one of those every once in a while, I prefer horror films like Babadook. And Twiztid are Candyman. Somewhere in between but a good mix I can get behind. Analogy made sense to me.
I definitely do not just like them just because they're goofy. If I did I'd be way more of a Gwar fan considering I listen to more thrash metal than hip hop. I love them because they have an idiosyncratic charisma I can't get anywhere else, their concept (while sadly unfulfilled) is unique and actually interesting, their simplicity also translates to immediacy (I'm a ****ing Ke$ha fan for god's sake), their production has its limitations while still being highly textured and atmospheric (I cannot overemphasize how much I love ICP's different atmospheres throughout the 90s and 00s), and I also ****ing love me some B-list schlockers. You know, like Big Money Hustlas, which is fantastic.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote