Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #6068 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I don't know why they don't teach any Stephen King in school. Yeah, he may not have the best prose, but he's an important modern author, is a household name who isn't trash, and might actually be of interest to someone who doesn't wear pocket protectors. I'd say it's also a crime that Lovecraft gets no love, but he's too early to make sense in this context.
I actually got into an argument with my AP English teacher my senior year of high school because I wanted to read At the Mountains of Madness for our quarter reading assignment but she said it wasn't acceptable AP material because, and I quote, "I have never heard of H.P. Lovecraft". Fortunately that was early on in the first semester and I had time to quit that class and do mythology instead which was a lot more fun.

Still, if part of the reason why these students don't have to read To Kill a Mockingbird anymore is because of offensive language and making them feel uncomfortable then I'm not sure if Lovecraft is a good replacement. I mean a man sets himself on fire because he learns his family hails from Africa in one story, and the moral of The Shadow Over Innsmouth is that if you marry someone outside your race you will produce a half human half fish hybrid. Oh and lets not forget the cat from "The Rats in the Walls" called "Niggerman"
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote