Music Banter - View Single Post - Micshazam's album and song picks
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Journal post # 3

Artist: Alsarah and the Nubatones
Nationality: Sudan
Song: Ya Watan
Album: Manara
Year: 2016
Genre: Nubian music

This band caught my eye on a blog somewhere and I'm glad I checked them out. The song above is pretty representative of the album I've got. I find the vocals positively hypnotic and there's something really trippy about the video, despite the fact it's just two women walking in slow motion for a few minutes.
I like the subtle use of backing vocals and I can say for a fact that this is the first time in my life that I've bought an album from a Sudanese artist.

Journal post # 4

Artist: Waltari
Nationality: Finland
Song: Lights On
Album: Torcha!
Year: 1991
Genre: Alternative metal or... something

I've loved this band for years. They don't get a lot of love among metalheads, but they do have a pretty loyal fanbase across Europe, mostly.
The variety, the inventiveness, the weirdness... there's a lot to love. Plus guitarist Jariot Lehtinen is an amazingly soulful musician. Turnoffs might be the nasal vocals of Kärtsy Hattaka and the bands tendency to make some pretty silly and/or corny songs here and there.
The song featured here is a pretty straight forward rock song with some metal influence and poppy vocals. It's a lot of fun and never fails to cheer me up.
For another side of the band on the same album, check out my favorite song off this disc, I Held You So Long.

Last edited by MicShazam; 07-01-2017 at 07:48 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote