Music Banter - View Single Post - piracy, yay or nay?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
MURDER JUNKIE
The Wetter The Better!!

It is only within the past year that I have begun downloading (stealing) music because it is so far gone now that it really is not going to make a difference. If someone asks me if I download I am always ashamed to say yes, however if I am at a show I will usually buy a CD and a shirt just to support the band.

I have come to the conclusion that the advent of downloading has presented us with a double edged sword:

1) the artists that we like are not being compensated for the music that they are making for us to enjoy

2) there are more artists to be discovered via the internet which allows us more variety in our choices.

As for Pop Music, unless legislation is made against piracy there will be no such thing as a platinum album and the measure of a bands greatness (poor choice of words, I apologise) will dwindle in numbers. I forget how many units MJ's Thriller sold but nothing will ever reach that point of popularity again.
The byproduct of this is that the record companies are going to be shoving a million gimmicky bands at us regardless of musical substance because of the way they look and the marketability of their attitude and fashions.

WE HAVE CREATED A MONSTER
MURDER JUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote