Music Banter - View Single Post - Enough of the writing already, wheres the music?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 05:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Default Enough of the writing already, wheres the music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelinrulz
hm i just cant judge lyrics without music, i havent the slightest idea about how fast it is, what key its in, the kind of song it is. but thats just me.
LedZeppelinRulz made a very good point here, one which keeps being alluded to but then swept under the carpet for some unknown reason. If we're critiquing song lyrics in their development stage, why not do the same for the rest of the song, tune, rhythm, structure etc? Being in a band I'd appreciate the input from outside listeners to the rough drafts of certain songs, does anybody feel the same way?

My point here is that, if you have written a song then you should be able to record it and post it, accompanied or unaccompanied. All you'd need would be a microphone for the recording. Yes it might be bad quality, yes you might not have a decent singing voice, but beyond that what real reasons could you have for not putting your lyrics out with at least some attempt at the music you want with them?

I disagree when people say that reading lyrics is the best way to criticise them. Reading is the best way to criticise those poems or books which are intended to be read quietly. Lyrics, on the other hand, are meant to be heard and not just in any old way, they are meant to be sung. So the best way to criticise a lyric is to HEAR it, as sometimes what looks good on paper sounds crap and vice versa.

So anyhow, I'm going to have a go at doing this and if nobody else follows suit I want to know why not. CrashingSun and RAR, I realise you've already been doing this so thanks for stimulating me to do the same, if you have any tips for where to put audio files etc. I'd appreciate them!
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote