Music Banter - View Single Post - Nothing to see here, move along
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
This doesn't really speak that well to my tastes, as many of the albums I review are ones I'm trying for the first time, and may not be to my own particular taste.

Basically, I'm a rock guy, mostly prog rock, mostly post-70s though I love Genesis with all my heart (shut up, Frown and Batty), also Marillion, Rush, later Yes (circa late 80s/90s), Floyd, Pendragon, Jadis, Arena, Balance of Power, Edenbridge, Within Temptation, Mostly Autumn, Epica, Alan Parsons Project, and a ton of others. Then there's melodic rock/metal/AOR as well as prog metal - Threshold, Shadow Gallery, Silent Edge, Ten, Boston, Journey, Houston, Work of Art, Fergie Frederiksen, Bon Jovi, and stuff like Dire Straits, Chris Rea, Tom Waits, Kate Bush, Judie Tzuke (as already mentioned), some early Chris de Burgh, Asia, Kamelot, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Sabbath, a lot of classical, some Country (Emmylou/Crystal/Nanci Griffith/Steve Earle etc) some ambient, some electronic (Air, JMJ, Vangelis, CBL, Solar Fields etc) and probably a whole lot I've forgotten to include. Actually, no probably about it: that's just a tiny sample of the stuff I enjoy.

What I do NOT enjoy, or listen to much if at all is hip-hop, punk, jazz, most pop (though some: Kylie is great) Noise rock, Experimental/Avant-Garde etc, not much soul (nothing against it; I just don't listen to it much) and reggae. And probably more that I can't think of.

Like I say, boring.

If you have any questions though, fire away.
Bolded some things that I like too

The only thing I downright dislike here is Bon Jovi.
Oh and I forgot: I like a bit of classical too. Still a newbie, so mostly just Schoenberg.

The only categories on this short list that I tend to stay away from would be AOR and country. What do you feel about music that would be classified as singer-songwriter or folk? And with folk I also mean very old traditional music, not just 60's Bob Dylan style folk. For example, I really like Loreena McKennitt.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote