Music Banter - View Single Post - Overrated
Thread: Overrated
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by judas_priest
Dream Theater are an amazing progressive metal band. I think Boo Boo was asking if you liked them as an insult as he clearly doesn't.
I never said i didnt like them (i dont), i just said that they arent really progressive, theres more to being progressive than just complexity, odd time signatures, long songs and virtuoso musicianship...It also requires a little originality....The fact of the matter is, Petrucci and the gang spend way too much time reading the idiots guide for how to be a 70s progressive rock band, and not enough time on finding their own identity or a style that suits their talents, plus they have the worst vocalist in the world, and some very bad lyrics to boot...Its true that the biggest weakness for many prog bands is the lyrics (ELP for example, had very mediocre lyrics), but many of these bands make up for it with their music, not the case for DT, at least in my opinion.

Im not saying DT arent progressive rock, in genre terms they are, just not in terms of their actual music, because they're simply not doing anything new, and after all thats what being progressive means, doing something new, at least in a certain sense...Its like how Green Day are a punk rock band, but they arent really punk...Simple way of putting it, i find Dream Theater to be a very overrated prog band, especialy when people say they are the best prog band today or that they are a top 10 prog band...Most of these people have barely listened to more than a dozen or so prog bands to start with...And they dont even understand the basic principles of being progressive rock.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote