Music Banter - View Single Post - Islam in Europe
Thread: Islam in Europe
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #1192 (permalink)
Pet_Sounds
Remember the underscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of England View Post
Also, everyone wants to talk about how ****ed up Islamic terrorism is, but meanwhile we're not giving credit to Islam for the good things they do? Did you know that we use an Arabic numeral system because the Islamic civilization found and preserved the logic of Algebra from ancient Hindu texts and then introduced this system of mathetmatics to the west? That's a pretty significant contribution. They also contributed to the science of optics among other things, while western Europe was still suffering from the aftermath of the collapse of the Roman empire. And for a more modern example, countless lives are saved every year by the Islamic policy in Saudi Arabia which prevents women from driving.
If you go back centuries you'll find that most cultures have have made significant contributions to science. Islam punches above its weight—in medieval times. But in recent years? Waaaay behind. I'd cite some statistics if I wasn't on my phone. As it is, a sentence from Wikipedia will have to suffice.

Quote:
In recent years, the lagging of the Muslim world in science is manifest in the disproportionately small amount of scientific output as measured by citations of articles published in internationally circulating science journals, annual expenditures on research and development, and numbers of research scientists and engineers.[37]
[37] is an essay by Abdus Salam, who won the 1979 Nobel Prize for Physics. He's one of only three Muslim Nobel laureates in the sciences.

Your last sentence indicates you might be trolling, but I thought this was worth posting regardless.