Music Banter - View Single Post - Comics/Graphic Novels
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 07:03 AM   #611 (permalink)
Yac
Super Moderator

So I've been wondering.. do you know of Thorgal ? I wonder just how popular these comics are worldwide, they were a hit when I was young, I grew up on the adventures of the guy, most of folks from my country and generation are very familiar. There's supposedly a tv series in the works which would be awesome.
Thorgal is a child that came down from the sky, in a capsule of sorts. This is observed by the crew of a Viking longship who take it as an omen from the gods. They find the capsule with an infant inside and raise him as a viking - here's where the story starts.
I won't sum it up, but it's a great mix of many mythologies - Nordic and European at first, but as the story progresses, our hero and his family and friends visit places like south America or the inside of the earth or other bizarre places.
Here's a good review, read it.
Generally it's a really well written story that doesn't use cliches as much as you'd think it would. The plots of subsequent comic books explores a wide variety of themes, sometimes you laugh, often you cry.. sometimes you're terrified.
I can't recommend this series enough. I also know where to find it online, though I don't think I can post a link publicly, so if you're intrigued,let me know.

Edit: here's an even better review.

Quote:
Narratively, Thorgal offers the best of all amazing worlds with an ostensibly starkly historical milieu of bold Viking adventure glibly yet seamlessly encompassing chilling science fiction elements, monstrous horror, social satire, political intrigue, soap opera, Atlantean mystique and mythically mystical fantasy standards such as gods, monsters, dwarves and demons.
Yac is offline   Reply With Quote