Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #5484 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

I wonder if the lads working on the animated Witcher TV series for Netflix watched this over the weekend and thought "oh for fuck sakes..." because change a few names around and redesign a few characters and you've basically got The Witcher 3 when you get to Novigrad. Not that there isn't room for two shows about monster slayers in a dark fantasy world, but it was definitely a little distracting.

Other than that I loved this series, well all four episodes of it at least. It was definitely one of the easier things to binge off of Netflix, but I'm OK with that. Watching entertainment doesn't need to feel like a second job. As far as the show is concerned the animation is beautiful and deliciously violent. It reminds me a bit of Beserk in a way, but I think any anime that is rooted in a western fantasy design will always get that comparison. I enjoyed the main character, Trevor Belmont, as a cynical monster slayer whose arc will be enjoyable to watch playout as he learns to try and rekindle his own humanity. The only thing I didn't care much for was the music. The Castlevania series has some of the most iconic music in the 8-to-16 bit era and I figured it would at least be an inspiration for the show, but instead it's very typical music for the genre, with this really out of place electronic beats that sound like they were accidentally recorded from a neighboring apartment.

Anyways, long story short, it's like 100 minutes of fun, gory, dark fantasy action that has definitely left me hungry for the other 8 episodes.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote