Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #1148 (permalink)
TechnicLePanther
and the livin' is easy...

Oh no, it's long.

Hiatus Kaiyote - Choose Your Weapon

And as it turns out, that brief worry encapsulates my main issue with the album. It's just too long, and there's no reason for it to be. Many sections in the album just repeat over and over again for no reason, especially intros and outros to songs. They're not particularly catchy nor interesting, so the only reason to really have them is to fill up time. And it's unfortunate that the length of this album is such an overwhelming issue, because there is almost no track on this album without a few great ideas.

The production on the album is some of the most spectacular I have ever seen, almost on par with Endtroducing... IMHO. The vocalist is excellent, and seeing as she plays guitar on the album as well, she certainly has a lot of talent as a frontwoman. And the drumming is tight and collected even when flying at light speed; this is especially demonstrated in the track "Atari", a stand-out on the album in its own right.

The length is a pretty big drawback about this album; I would certainly have cut some of the more forgettable tracks: Borderline with My Atoms, Breathing Underwater, Fingerprints, and Creations Part One and Part Two. Maybe even the closer could be removed in order to cut down the runtime, IMO "Molasses" would have made for a much better closer anyway.

As it is, I don't want to say this album is "great", but I also don't want to say this album isn't worth the time taken to listen to it. It's a good album to kick back to, if you know what I mean. Anyway, 7/10.

On my list of "favorite albums to not favorite albums":

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Hiatus Kaiyote - Choose Your Weapon
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

By the way, I have no idea what any of the lyrics on this album even mean, half the time I can't understand what she's saying, and the other half it doesn't make a single shred of sense. The music's the bomb though.

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.

Last edited by TechnicLePanther; 07-12-2017 at 09:57 AM.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote