Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #1156 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Sure you can. You'll have to join right at the end of the queue though. Let me know what album you want to suggest and I'll put it in the queue.
I'm fine with being at the end of the queue, even if it will probably take a year before it's my turn.
Album suggestion: Islaja - Ulual Yyy

------------------

Hiatus Kaiyote - Choose Your Weapon (2015)

Listened to it twice, front to back.

This album was a weird experience. Not the music itself, as it is mostly fairly straight forwardly bound to its genre of choice. What makes it weird is my experience of liking the album at first when I start listening to it, then alternating between "ooh that's nice" and "ugh... move on already"... only to feel downright annoyed with the album by the time I'm somewhere in the second half.

Like other posters have noted, this album is too long. Sitting through over an hour of constant warbling and no small amount of discardable musical ideas, will eventually start feeling like a punishment.

While some tracks are sort of interesting musically, a rare time maybe even vocally, there's a lot of fairly bland noodling about that doesn't really have any solid base in a good melody or anything else memorable. The track 'Fingerprints' is a good example of this. A couple years ago, I spent a good amount of time checking out a lot of modern R&B and this song buys into every melodic and musical cliche of that kind of music. Blandly laid back, lots of vocal melismas (frequently to the point of overkill) and some extremely boring, cookie-cutter R&B beats.

The vocals really became a turnoff for me over time. This singer doesn't not appreciate the concept of vocal restraint. Or melody.

Sure, she can sing, but this is art, not the olympics. Expressiveness and beauty takes a back seat to attempts at cramming as many pitch bends into every line and syllable possible, effectively killing off any real attempts at melodic themes. I love a good melody, in case that wasn't clear, and this sort of show-off silliness offends me

I realize I got more negative as I was writing this, since I felt more and more negative the further into the album I got.

Honestly, there are individual songs on this album that are pretty good, but rating it as an album experience... Ugh... It really does shoot itself in the foot.

3/10 - Never coming back to this one again AND you can do much, much, MUCH better within this style of music.
Check out the newest album by Esperanza Spalding and anything by Erykah Badu, for example.

Last edited by MicShazam; 07-13-2017 at 01:44 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote