Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #6119 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

A news story which features an eleven-year-old girl crying on camera is likely to tug at the heartstrings and make you wonder if things couldn't've been done differently:

Why are Iraqi Christians facing deportation from US? - BBC News

The eleven-year-old is an innocent victim, and although it's not told that way, imo she is a victim of the folly of her father, her priest and her community.

The father: International rule number one for any immigrant anywhere is, "Don't break the laws of your host country or they might throw you out." There are no details of his conviction in the report, but it looks like the girl's father forgot that while commiting a crime.

The priest: A Catholic priest was advising his flock to vote for Trump? I thought that the Catholic church usually tried to remain aloof from politics, what with rendering unto Caesar and all that, but if a priest does start doling out political advice, he should do better than recommend Trump. After all, Trump's campaign promises of walls, travel bans and reduced healthcare were obviously contrary to the teaching of Jesus Christ, who is reputed to have said, "Love thy neighbour as thyself." As a supposed expert on morals, you might expect a priest to've spotted that distinction.

The community: I was going to say that taking political advice from a priest and voting for Trump are both errors of judgement, but perhaps they better illustrate an absence of judgement; the kind of problems you generate when you abdicate rational analysis in favour of faith.

Children naturally trust that the adults around them will protect them from harm. What a shame that this girl's trust was ill-founded and now she is suffering the consequences, not of their malice, but of their folly.