Music Banter - View Single Post - Islam Cartoons
Thread: Islam Cartoons
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 02:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
Calm down, calm down! Those people are right in a certain way. If you read the Qu'ran (which I haven't done, admittedly) then I think there's very little in there that suggest people should commit violent acts against women or against one's enemies. As this book is the basis of Islam then I think they're right to say that, at its core, Islam is a peaceful religion.

The problem is that religious figureheads tend to interpret the writings of holy books to suit their own goals and opinions, which are sometimes violent, while claiming that their religion tells them to do it. This then gives a bad impression of everybody else who's associated with that religion, most of whom have no violent tendencies at all.
I actually HAVE read the Qu'ran (not entirely, but parts), and I have read passages that explicitly state that a woman is a man's posession, must be covered at all times etc etc etc. It's actuallt stated in their holy book that a woman is a comodity, who should have no rights, and in every way is a man's posession. Many islamic countries HAVE updated their laws, and many modern muslims realize that these are completely barbaric rules and should be changed. however, they are still devout muslims, live by the Qu'ran in every other way, and are generally wonderful and admirable people.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote