Music Banter - View Single Post - Is anyone else unable to pinpoint what makes them like certain music but not others?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Bad French synthpop is a genre I have yet to explore. I'm sure I'm missing out, big time!
You are! I'm a longtime unrepentant Depeche Mode fan, so I can tolerate quite a bit of cheese and synthesizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Why must we choose between Kylie and Madonna? Both are ace and I would sex up in their primes.
Because Kylie is objectively better. I admit I like some songs from the Erotica era, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
I like different kinds of music for different reasons, but one quality that sticks out for me is what I call "color" in music. This is found most readily in certain kinds of classical music - particularly Debussy, Ravel, Satie, and the other "French impressionists" - as well as psychedelic rock.

To me, the following two pieces of music are really kinda the same. They're both extremely "visual" in a way that's hard to describe, unless you simply "get it."
So do you also have mild synesthesia then? I don't find that certain genres are necessarily any more colorful than other ones. But I'm often drawn to certain artists for the same reasons, especially if many of their songs tend to be overwhelmingly blue/indigo (like The Durutti Column and John Cage--there's also lots of dark green, black and dark blue there-- and Julee Cruise)