Music Banter - View Single Post - Let's Discuss Linkin Park!
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 03:32 AM   #104 (permalink)
GlamrockSam
Groupie

'Hybrid Theory' was the first album I ever bought. 2 for £10 with Soulfly's 'Back to The Primitive' from Virgin Megastore.

I must have been about 15. I absolutely loved it, listened to it non-stop. Loved the videos, their cool hair, and all the crazy voice effects they had

In hindsight, the vocals are very negative, and it's no surprise that Chester had issues... He had to perpetually sing about how his life is awful or about how damaged he is psychologically, or scream emotionally abusive lyrics such as "shut up when I'm talking to you" as part of his 9-5 job.

Perversely, he didn't change his tune, 15 years after becoming famous and presumably rich after the release of Hybrid Theory and he was still talking about being psychologically damaged.

If you haven't found a solution to your problems after 15 years, then you haven't been trying hard enough or worse, you really ARE damaged.

I remember reading that he was addicted to heroin at one point, i think it was in Kerrang! or Metal Hammer. Another glamorisation of victim mentality.
If Chester believed that you cannot be helped, you won't find help. If Chester's core identity was "I am a damaged person who will never be fixed", reinforced by the fact that he is financially rewarded for the lyrics he sings, the ego is likely to defend it.

The video to Papercut is the most late 90's "Let's make a Tool video" video ever!!!
GlamrockSam is offline   Reply With Quote