Music Banter - View Single Post - 3 Questions About Music
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Dylstew
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Cheesy or not, it's pretty much true.

About the bolded line: Just earlier this evening, I showed a song I've been into a lot lately to a friend and he said that "it wasn't anything special". I pretty much agreed with it, because it's kinda true. I had it on a playlist for a long time and now I'm really appreciating it, even though it's hard to point to any specific part of it as a good "selling point".

For reference, it was this song:

By all means quite unremarkable, but I really like it
I can see what both of you mean. On one hand, it's quite by the numbers for modern metal and nothing unique or ambitious. You could defenitely call it generic. On the other hand, it is well executed, has hooks (when compared to certain types of music", and the different parts fit well enough/are paced well enough. On first glance, it definitely isn't going to convince anyone they have something over other artists, but because it's competently made if you familiarize yourself with it and you're in the mood I could see someone getting attached.

Unrelated to your post specifically, but Expectation has a lot to do with reactions too. If you scream something is the best thing ever, it better have something cool about it that sticks out right away that also at that moment happens to appeal to them already, or else thee other person's gonna be like "what? What's so special about this?" And like it less than they otherwise would, as otherwise they may think "Hey, this is okay" and let it grow on them.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote