Music Banter - View Single Post - 3 Questions About Music
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
(1) Is there an artist whose music you appreciate that you are convinced not a single person on MB has ever heard about?
Probably someone like Elis Regina, since in all the time I've been on MB one thing that's been consistent is that people pay almost no attention at all to music from South or Central America.
I remember the time I played Águas de Março in plug.dj and Roxy said Elis Regina was sexy.

(1) Is there an artist whose music you appreciate that you are convinced not a single person on MB has ever heard about?
Whenever I am tempted to think that I figure there is always a possibility that at least one person the board knows them. The age range on MB is pretty wide. It's tough getting anything pass rotasi, Goofle or Paul Smeenus. If there is an artist I know that no one else knows I rather keep them to myself as long as possible. When talking about my favorite bands I don't know what's worse, criticism or indifference.

(2) Are there any songs that nearly move you to tears every time you hear them?

Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now (Live, 1970)

Gregory and the Hawk - Oats We Sow

(3) What are some songs where you feel like the singer(s) pulls off an exceptionally amazing performance? Subjectively speaking,
not necessarily in terms of technique or range, although it can also be for that exact reason.

I love the way Blind Willie McTell talks, he has a great speaking voice. When he sings everything comes through like his accent, his personality. He doesn't recite lyrics he sings a story.

Blind Willie McTell - Kill It Kid

Some people think only hip hop singer have flow,
well they probably never met Hank Snow.

Hank Snow - I've Been Everywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kGHmIZ4IUY

I guess some people think of the B-52's not as a serious band, probably more like a party band, but Cindy Wilson sings her heart out on this song.
the B-52's - Give Me Back My Man

Elis is singing about about ordinary things like a stick, a stone, the end of a road, but does it with such emotion it becomes metaphysical.
Elis Regina, Águas de Março

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote