Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you listening to --- Prog/Psych Version
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #80 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
It doesn't say "new age" or "tepid" verbatim, no, but what it does say

Is basically the same thing.

The wiki entry itself says that it's a prog subgenre, not just any old prog music made after 1980. That was my original point.

So again, why are you posting this as if it isn't saying the same thing as me?
That's all down to your own interpretation of what's tepid and new-age. I'm just pointing out there's a lot more to it than you were willing to admit. As usual, cherry-picking, but whatev, what do I care?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Your own source contradicts you.
Since when was world music new age, dumbass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vambo View Post
Many a genre included worldmusic elements back in 80s.
yOU'RE not going to call Popol Vuh neo now are you Batbird?

I have a Willowglass , but not that specific title. Don't see him as being neoprog in the least.
I guess. I don't know what you'd call him. It's The Dream Harbour I have anyway. Great album.

Quote:

Don't know Epica or Temptation. Suspect its much later (metal-****) musics (the Dutch neoprog was late 80s.)
Yeah you're right there: Epica formed in 2002, Within Temptation 1996.
Quote:
Troll heart - you cant get into GGiant, VDGG or ELP?

You are a lost soul.
I weep copiously.
Gentle Giant just did not impress me, but it was only the first album I listened to. ELP I have never liked; heard Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery. Just bored me. Kind of like early Yes: suites too long and just not engaging, to me. VDGG I am getting into, slowly. I love Pawn Hearts, and some specific songs like "Man-erg" (I think: starts with a slow piano and "A killer lives inside me"?), "Killer", "Refugees", "Whatever would Robert have said?", "The boat of millions of years", "Masks", "Childlike faith in childhood's end", "Darkness", "Lost", a few others. I bought all their albums on vinyl way back when but no longer have a turntable, however I did rebuy them all digitally.

I think the problem with some of these bands is the length of some of their songs, and not only the "old prog" bands. I tried to listen to "The last human gateway" at least five times, and fell asleep every time. And yet I love "Supper's ready", "Grendel", "A plague of lighthouse keepers", "The light", "2112" and other really long songs. I guess a suite has to really engage me to keep my attention, and stuff from Yes/ELP just never really has. I do like newer Yes though, from 90125 to about Union. Wasn't mad about The Ladder, loved ABWH, still working through the albums that followed those.