Music Banter - View Single Post - The Hypocrisy of Governmental Attempts to Stop Smoking
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I have to admit, I've got a lot of sympathy with smokers. Usually they started early (Karen started at 17 I think) and often just to be "one of the crowd", so you have peer pressure. Once you're there it seems you're stuck, as it is very addictive. It is dangerous, of course, but then so is alcohol and other drugs, so why don't governments recognise the massive contribution smokers are making to the economy and give them a break? Apparently the govt here rakes in two billion Euro every year in tax on cigarettes: that's a lot of money they'd have to look for elsewhere if nobody was buying cigarettes, no? Why not reward the poor put-upon smokers by maybe reducing the cost of a pack of twenty, or is that being too radical? They're gonna smoke anyway - how many people do you know who have said "I gave up smoking cos it was too expensive?" I mean, everyone knows it is that, but it doesn't seem to be a factor in people deciding to quit. After they have done so, yes, they see the benefit in their wallet or purse, but I doubt it's the original driving incentive.