Music Banter - View Single Post - The Hypocrisy of Governmental Attempts to Stop Smoking
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 06:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I don't have a problem with high taxes on a pack of cigarettes; it's part of a policy of taxing luxury goods and other health-risk products like spirits.

What I find offensive are the profits made by the big tobacco companies, who pay nothing towards the damage they create; millions of addicts suffering with smoking-related health probs. Now that consumers in the USA and Europe are better informed and statistically are moving away from tobacco consumption, the tobacco companies are targeting third-world children. Just think what a disaster that's going to cause for struggling nations and struggling families:-

For an example of hypocrisy, don't miss what the BAT Chairman says to justify the legal war he is waging to prevent anti-smoking legislation becoming law in various African nations:-

" The industy should be regulated, but we want to see that regulation is serving the correct interests of the health mission....
from time to time it's necessary to take legal action to challenge new regulation."

The sub text here is "With BAT annual profits that rival your country's entire GNP, we can drag you through the international courts on a costly journey you can barely afford and we can stop you passing legislation that would protect your people from our lethal product."