Music Banter - View Single Post - The AI Singularity and Transhumanism
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #74 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'm not sure why it should matter if it's an all at once change or an over time replacement

Physically you are made of none of the matter you were a decade or so ago as far as I understand it
Exactly. My (and I'm assuming everyone else's) threshold for yes/no on human+ is whether the consciousness I had before has ceased to exist and unknowingly been replaced with a duplicate. Whether the consciousness that I was born with ceased to exist without my knowledge somewhere during my body's replacement of my cells over the years is related obviously, but so long as I don't notice I suppose it's a moot point, cause wuddaya gon' do? Same idea as Star Trek teleportation.

And I don't know how you would define consciousness in the sense of it being a continuous process throughout an organism's life though, which is where the uncertainty comes in.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote