Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #5523 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiomara View Post
YES finally someone else here has seen this; I loved it, personally, though it seems a lot of the die-hard Anne of Green Gables purists loathed the new series, claiming it was too gritty/gritty for the sake of being gritty, etc. But I don't really understand that; I felt that there were plenty of lighthearted whimsical moments to balance out the darker PTSD stuff. I binge-watched it and was emotionally destroyed/elated afterward, but it was worth it. And the casting was just perfect. I thought the writing in general was consistently great and natural as well. (I think the writer also worked on Breaking Bad, but I'm not 100% sure) So many scenes were just so unbearably perfect and sweet and charming; I had to watch them over and over.
From what I read on IMDB, most of the ire seems to be more directed towards the feminist undertones of the show, because of course it is. I found the gritty moments to be a welcome addition and kind of necessary because I cannot imagine being an orphan in the late 19th century was some cakewalk, nor would society just immediately accept you just because you've been adopted. I'm only 3 episodes in so I cannot comment on the last 4, but from what I have seen I think there is a lot of room for character growth among the assholes of the show.

I find the relationship between Anne and Marilla to be the most interesting, as both are trying to adapt to the other, even if it doesn't always seem that way. Like when Matthew comes back with Anne in the 2nd episode you just want Anne to run up and hug Marilla, and the fact that it doesn't happen is sad, but you know that there is still genuine affection, which is made clear at the end of that episode.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote