Music Banter - View Single Post - The Christianity Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #1199 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
How can you recognize sin as someone who doesn't believe in God? or maybe I should say as an athiest, as referencing God may not be fitting for all Theists/Deists.

Sin is, by definition, a transgression of divine law. You can't break the laws of something that does not exist.

Let's try it like this: If some organization tomorrow decided that cats have a moral laws, "Catisms", and anyone who breaks those laws is a "Catist", are you a "Catist"? They are manufactured and have no place in reality. You would need evidence of their existence to be labeled as someone who goes against them.
I disagree with the bolded assumption. Divine law is made with respects to god, but who defines it? You can address that you qualify as a sinner simply on a definitional (is the right word definitive? idk) basis. It does not imply that you respect the authority of those laws, nor does it imply that justice for breaking those laws is legitimate. It just means that you don't adhere to them. So yes, I'm a Catist but I'm not particularly concerned about it.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote