Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does there seem to be a stigma attached to advocate for Men's Rights?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #941 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

What elph said.

Quote:

1Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.
In the eyes of gender essentialists, should gender really depend solely upon external genitalia (rather than sex chromosomes, or their internal reproductive organs, things which none of us can know for sure about anyone else) even though there are people who have chromosomes and gonads which do not "match," making them intersex, despite having been declared to be male or female at birth based on their genitals? There are many different kinds of intersex conditions; there are people who might have both a vagina (so, externally, they'd appear to be a woman), breasts and testes. Some don't even learn until later in life that they're intersex, maybe not until getting their chromosomes tested. I don't imagine many of them should feel as though they're less of a man or woman solely because they learn they have different chromosomes than they thought.

I don't know, I just think we're a bit too obsessed with genitalia as a society, and it doesn't make sense to me that such a large part of one's identity should be dictated by (or forced upon us for our entire life, rather) a doctor who assigns it to us based on our genitals as infants before we even have any self-awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
it's unnecessary and in most cases just lazy parenting. it's essentially just a short cut to getting your child to stop doing whatever is upsetting you so much. rather than explain to them what they did and how bad it is, they know a quick smack on the bottom will do all the work for them.
I agree. There are better ways to diffuse tantrums and such. I can see why some think hitting a kid will be more immediately effective; it makes the kid afraid of you, and momentarily shocks them out of their tantrum or whatever. But that does not solve any actual behavioral problems. Children are just small humans with poor emotional regulation skills; of course they can be huge brats, but I don't think they should be hit for acting like children.

Last edited by Chiomara; 08-12-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Chiomara is offline   Reply With Quote