Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does there seem to be a stigma attached to advocate for Men's Rights?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #946 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedantic Basterd View Post
Actually, this raises a good point. A child that young is not going to understand the consequences of the behaviour--smacking them is not going to teach them how to not be a little **** and be a good adult, it's just going to teach them not to do one behaviour.
Coming from a generation of children who were subject to mild corporal punshment I wholeheartily disagree.

Quote:
In fact research demonstrates that when you punish children with corporal punishment, it teaches them how to get around punishment in the future. That is, they find ways to hide the bad behaviour and do it anyways, because they don't understand that it's the consequences of the behaviour that are bad--they associate "bad" with getting caught.
Coming from a generation of children who were subject to mild corporal punshment I wholeheartily disagree.

Quote:
Further, the greater the length of time that passes between the bad behaviour and the punishment, the less effective the punishment is. If you come home from work, your kid has painted on the walls, and you smack them hours after it happened, that's just ****ing confusing for them because the punishment is not temporally related to the behaviour.

Quote:
Finally, kids are waaaaaaaay more cognizant than we give them credit for, even at two or three years old. Just talk to them like you'd talk to a grown-up. They're more likely to listen, they're more likely to learn something, and they've got a much bigger receptive understanding of the world than we give them credit for.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote