Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does there seem to be a stigma attached to advocate for Men's Rights?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #1039 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
When did gender become defined by social behavior rather than your sex? Not denying it is, looked it up, but still. Because they are both synonyms. And isn't that just reinforcing stereotypes? That's what I don't get most. Like, we're conditioned to believe that a gender/sex is supposed to act a certain way, some people that feel as though they don't fit into that gender box but feel as though they fit into a different gender box start identifying as a different gender and even go as far as to mutilate their genitals just to fit a social construct that is forced on us. Of course that CAN'T be the only reason for people to transition, but they it constantly gets put on me seems that way. Shouldn't it be pushed that your sex shouldn't define your behavior rather than having people transition to fit our boxes?
These are all worthy questions, but I think it's important to add that in many situations, it's not just the behaviour of their biological sex that trans people don't identify with, but their own bodies. The extent to which gender is tied to biology or social constructs is going to differ for every individual. Not being a trans person, I don't feel like I can weigh in on what it means to be transgender, but it's definitely an interesting topic of discussion.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote