Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does there seem to be a stigma attached to advocate for Men's Rights?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #1045 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I know you aren't attacking me. I guess I'm just over exaggerating but some of the responses have been.

This is a different case. This is an issue nobody really seems to know **** about. This is something I think we all deep down have an opinion about and I put forth my opinion. I felt as though I was just as educated as anybody else, to be honest. But nobody can assume they know everything about anything either. Plus, I'm completely open to people that can offer information that changes my perspective. How can I learn or gain a better perspective if I'm not starting a dialogue in the first place? It doesn't make any sense for me to just go with the program here. As opposed to keeping my mouth shut on a topic quantum physics when I don't know **** about quantum physics. Most of my tangent has been questions too. Like, I think this way, and you think that way so WHY do you think that way? It's how social and political conversations should go. With all our education there is always something that we probably didn't consider.
Then ask questions. Don't put forth an opinion in a way that seems to demand a defensive answer. Just ask questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedantic Basterd View Post
This is true of so many kinds of prejudice. We have ideas about groups of people that are invalid at the individual level--exposure to individuals helps us break down stereotypes and misunderstandings. Unfortunately, trans people are uncommon (although probably more common than we currently realize) and stigmatized, such that it's not safe for them to be open about it, meaning most people don't get to have those breakthrough experiences that lead to understanding and acceptance.
This is one of the things that bothers me as a straight guy. I'm not particularly attached to my sexuality or gender, but I feel like I can claim them comfortably, even if my non-standard answers to questions of my sexuality and gender evoke side-eyed glances, at least I'm answering more or less "correctly" (i.e. I'm not gay or trans so I'm not actively rejected). It almost makes me feel like a sellout when I say, no, I'm not gay. It just feels like garbage to me that I should feel better about not answering "wrongly" just because I'd rather not be marginalized by my fellow man.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote