Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Barbara, Barbara, We Face a Shining Future" by Underworld
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 03:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

I'm going to do this one track-by-track for no particular reason.

I Exhale
By the 6 minute mark, I can tell this is going to be a rough trip.
I hate this in every single possible way.
It's probably good quality by some objective measure, but it has nothing to do with what I personally look for in music. Repetitive music that goes absolutely no where for 8+ minutes. It's not even enjoyable repetitive music. The vocals are just annoying. Some guy talking and some backup "singers" literally saying "blah, blah, blah". There's nothing here for me. Maybe it's supposed to be club music? I hate clubs, so...

If Rah
Not much different style wise and no better. Guy talking in a sort of British drawl. Music with nothing going on at all. I'm tempted to skip to the next track after just 1½ minutes out of 7, but I'm going to do this right. In the Album Club, you suffer the whole damn thing or you get out! Ugh... I'm in pain.

Hold on! By the 3 minute mark, the music gets a bit better. Of course a loaf of dry bread is great if you've been eating sand for a week. Still not anything worth writing home about. It just makes me want to listen to Daft Punk instead, and I don't even like Daft Punk.

"Luna, luna, luna, luna!"

This guy can't sing. It's not like he's even trying though.
Please make it stop.

Low Burn
Now this is exciting: The first minute will tell me if I can look forward to something a bit less trying.
...The heavy beat that comes in here suggests that I'm in for another rough 7 minutes. I'm calling it now: This track will be extremely repetitive.

A bit later: Exactly what happened. I'm just waiting for it to be over at this point.

The temptation to skip ahead is very strong. I'm not kidding - my mouse finger is itching to click on the next track, but I won't let myself do that. Gotta take this seriosly! This youtube playlist contains 8 tracks but, mercifully, I can see on Wikipedia that only the first 7 are part of the regular album track listing, so I'm not doing the final track. That 8th track does not exist. Not for this exercise.

Santiago Cuatro
Some droning, a faintly middle eastern vibe. Only 4 minutes. Will this be an "atmosphere" track?
You would think I would like this a bit better, because it actually turned out to be a sort of acoustic melody piece, but the melody is so skeletal and so uninteresting that it was a drag to get through. This feels like what is bound to happen if a dance composer with no experience with more "ethnic" music tries his hand at something in that direction: It's underdeveloped and feels like amateur dabbling.

Motorhome
This guy doesn't sing, he just moans. Very bad vocal performance in my opinion.
There's some melody a bit into the song that makes things more interesting, but it dives into the background too fast. I'm just not allowed to really enjoy anything about this album - that much is clear by now.

This is finally nearly over after a few musical changes. Everything just feels so underdeveloped and bland. I'm starting to question how many years of experience this artist has with song writing/composition. It's minimalism, but without refinement.

Ova Nova
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nylon Strung
I can almost smell freedom!
It turns out this track was copyright blocked in this playlist, so I had to go with the 3 minutes shorter single version. Finally some luck! This gives me the mental energy to go through this a bit more attentively. Just over 3 minutes. I can do this!

Ok, give me all you've got - let's bring this trainwreck home!

2 minutes in: So far; "inoffensive" is all I've got.
2 minutes and 16 seconds: This bass change is the single most exciting moment on the entire godforsaken album. I liked one note? Yay.
3 minutes and 25 seconds: It's fading out and nothing really ever went anywhere. That was it. That was that album and I will never have to listen to it again. I haven't felt this elated for a week.

Sorry for being so negative. The album club isn't about offending people's tastes or otherwise being a dick, but I really, really, really did not enjoy this album on any level.

I would listen to all previous albums 10 times each before I would go through this one more time. Suddenly, listening to The Divine Comedy seems like a downright attractive proposition. That album was creative and actually went somewhere musically. It wasn't hard to get through, I just didn't click with it. This album is a whole different level of 'dislike' for me.

2/10. I'm reserving the 1/10 for something completely inept, but I did strongly dislike this album.
EDIT: Overruled! I don't believe anyone in here will suggest a completely inept album for the club, so I'm going to use the whole scale and give this a 1/10. Apologies to Innerspaceboy.

Last edited by MicShazam; 08-14-2017 at 03:20 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote