Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Molam: Thai Country Groove from Isan Vol 2" by Various Artists
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 04:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

After the highs (!) of Underworld last week it's back down to Earth with a bang for me anyway. I'm no great fan of World Music in the first place, and while I can see this is all very well played and composed etc, and it's interesting, it's also something I find highly annoying. Like the wailed vocals on the flamenco album, the vocals on this seem to consist of chanting in what sounds like a child's or a woman's voice - they may not be, but that's how they come across to me. The music, to my ears, sounds pretty much the same for each track, and in the end it's almost like listening to Apu and his daughters play their favourite hits.

I didn't know what molam was when I began this. Now that I do, I know it's not for me. I only struggled through the album (a full hour of this!) the once, and have no desire to repeat the experience. Definitely not for me. I guess there is an upside though: I can now move on to the next album and get a jump on next week's selection.

Sorry, man: not enjoyable at all to me. Just annoying and repetitive. I realise I may be doing molam a disservice here, but I can only go with what I hear, and what I hear bores and irritates me.

2/10