Music Banter - View Single Post - Science!
Thread: Science!
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #131 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
You're the only one here who's saying anything about it being easy. I never said anything of the sort and am aware of how difficult that can be.
Not really: your quote "get a new job" implies that doing that is easy.
Quote:
My solution: let the industry continue on its current trajectory despite workers in that industry being displaced by the change. It's not as if this will be an overnight transition that will take everyone by surprise. Those who are displaced will need to adapt, that's just the reality of the situation TH. Those who cannot cope with that can rely on the welfare systems that we already have in place to help the unemployed.
Again, I'm not proposing or looking for a solution. I know it will be hard for those who make their living by driving. I'm just pointing out that it's not as rosy as the docu made it out to be, and that people are going to get hurt. That's progress of course, but I just wish they had addressed it properly in the programme, which they did not.

To give my own personal view, it would be super cool to call a car, get in and basically be driven where I want to go without needing any sort of interaction from me. It will also obviously (or hopefully anyway) cut down on or cut out entirely the many thousands of deaths that result from traffic accidents, and the many more life-changing injuries. I'm just trying to represent a balanced view, and say that while it is exciting and interesting, there will be those who will get burned by it. Of course, that's the same with any major change, but for instance sailboat captains in the nineteenth century could adapt to steamships, and those who flew propellor aircraft could learn to fly a jet. But this cuts out all human intervention, leaving those who drive for a living with nowhere to go.

There is no solution I can see. Hopefully some will be able to make a seismic shift and get into another business, but one major effect of this technology will be surely to lengthen the dole queues. Let's not forget petrol stations either: all these cars will be electric, so no longer any need for your roadside gas station and all its accoutrements and staff.