Music Banter - View Single Post - How would modern rock music have sounded if recorded with 1960s equipment?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
RJDG14
Music Addict

Default How would modern rock music have sounded if recorded with 1960s equipment?

So I'm curious how modern rock and alternative/indie music, in particular that from the 80s/90s, would have sounded if recorded in the late 60s with the same innovation but with 60s production equipment. I'm asking this because guitars on most 60s rock usually sound different, usually janglier/springier or with a wah-wah fuzz sound. Drums were also usually tinnier sounding. Were these differences a result of the limitations of the equipment available at the time or was it simply the fashionable production of the day? I doubt electric guitars sounded any different by themselves in the late 60s. So what I'm basically asking would be whether it would have been possible to record a 90s sounding album with a 90s-style mix in the late 60s (perhaps with slightly more background hiss), had someone had the innovation? Have there been any examples of people who have recorded songs in the last 25 years using old instruments so we get the gist of how music coul have potentially sounded in the 60s?
RJDG14 is offline   Reply With Quote