Music Banter - View Single Post - Islam in Europe
Thread: Islam in Europe
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #1147 (permalink)
riseagainstrocks
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
You can stand on a London bridge and not have to worry about the Westboro Baptist Church church van.
You can stroll through Yellowstone National Park without worrying about Salafi terrorism. You can take in the sights of the Great Wall without worrying about Hindu nationalists. You can tour Braavos without worrying about the Sons of the Harpy.... er, wait.

I still fail to understand the point advanced by some of the more anti-Islamic voices here. Ending the religion entirely? Ending it's practice in the West? Forced conversion? To what, Christianity? Atheism? Seriously, Neapolitan, OccultHawk, Man like Monkey - what's your "ask" here?

Too often I see people of your view act like the Islamic world ISN'T aware of how destructive this is. More devout Muslims are killed by acts of terror than any other group (and depending on how you run the numbers, very likely the combined total of all other groups is still dwarfed by "friendly fire") (source 1, source 2, providing statistics on likelihood).

Communism, Islam, Monarchism, Christianity, animal rights groups, etc etc. are all are capable of being warped into weapons. The constant need to scream "he's a Muslim" does not bring back the dead or punish the perpetrator. It puts a giant target on everyone else that shares a tangential connection by participating in a common religious system. It's like if I say, "hey, dogs shouldn't be used to test cosmetics" and you say, "I agree, but also we should kill all the scientists who test those cosmetics." We're broadly align on "dogs should not be treated cruelly" but how we get there is so opposed that we're barely on the same team.

I'm running low on analogies on how asinine it is to point to static words on a page as the font of all evil, but I'll keep trying. Terrorists = bad. Islam = neutral. Muslims = people. So, we have a) evil, b) depends on how you use it, and c) as varied as everyone else. Yep, I'm going to focus on terrorists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
If they wanted to do it they'd have done it, you said they don't have the opportunity but they have the opportunity every day, I mean the law didn't stop Omar Mateen did it? They're just a family of weirdos who make placards ffs.
If the WBC had 10,000-20,000 followers and operated in a mostly lawless country with no federal government, you can bet they'd engage in the same barbaric behavior as ISIS. They basically share the same position as the Ugandan government when it comes to homosexuality. Look how that works out when they're the law...