Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #20060 (permalink)
Yac
Super Moderator

I finally saw Ghost in the Shell.
I've been a fan of the original anime and movies (especially the 2nd season of stand alone complex <3) for years, so my expectations were pretty high. At the same time I read the reviews and they were.. let's say, mixed.
I'm also not one of those purists that will throw a fit when a remake of a fictional story gets changed a bit, so..
it wasn't bad. In fact, it was very pretty and somewhat fun, if absolutely predictable. The plot was a mix of several plots from the anime. Action scenes were decent. Actors.. were good! I was a bit sad to see so little of the team, but then I guess that's only fair as it was similar in the first Gits movie..
I didn't mind Scarlett as major. In a world where everyone and their mother has an artificial body/bodypart/brain/whatever, ethnicity is not that relevant.. I think. I really liked the fact that she wasn't too sexual - this is something that always bothered me in the anime... like the creators wanted to appeal to both serious s-f techno thriller fans, and otakus that drool seeing major swinging her boobs.. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of boobs in general, but there's a time and place for everything.
I also liked the guy that played Batou, and I was shocked he's also Euron Greyjoy on GoT .. good acting.
Generally I felt like I've seen it before. Like watching a good movie, but for the 2nd or 3rd time. Not exciting enough to be what you'd like it to be..

Anyway, I wonder whether some extended cut version is planned ? From what I read on imdb, they cut quite a few scenes, including an insightful conversation with a techno monk of some kind played by ..Tricky. I'd see the movie again if it had at least a handful of those extra scenes.
Yac is offline   Reply With Quote