Music Banter - View Single Post - World Cup 2018 thread
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #59 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
disagree, they're a great team they just lack the depth of a France, Germany, Brazil, etc.
Any time I've watched them they haven't looked great and I've seen a fair amount because I followed Wales in their qualifying campaign for the Euros. They're a solid, unspectacular team, no different to England were. Their tournament performances are nothing special at all.

Quote:
Hazard, Lukaku, Carrasco, Nainggolan, Dembele, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, De Bruyne, Courtois, Mertens, Benteke, etc etc etc

can't think of an English team that could rival that imho. with Naingo stepping down this year we have a big gap to fill though and it will be a few years before Tielemans or Dendonker are ready to fill it.
England's 04-06 side was better than that on paper.

GK - James/Robinson, not great but not poor either.

Cole, Ferdinand and Terry were world class centre backs/full back who were all league champions (Rio would become one in '07). Campbell and Woodgate in back up as well.

Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes and Beckham were all world class midfielders at some point in their careers. Beckham was a Ballon d'Or runner up.

Owen won the Ballon d'Or and was unquestionably world class.
Rooney was actually very good back then too.

The only world class players I'd say Belgium have are Hazard and maybe De Bruyne. Courtois possibly, maybe one or two of their defenders if you're being really generous. Only area they're better than England 04-06 is GK.

Quote:
anyway, you're right that they don't have a chance but the ratio of overall players to great players is pretty ****ing spectacular. it's just hard to compete with the elite nations who can field 2 or 3 entire teams of world class players.

oh and i'll put $50 on France going further than Brazil right now if you want it
Anything could happen between now and the squad announcements tbh.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote