Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #25757 (permalink)
Zer0

Virginia Astley - From Gardens Where We Feel Secure (1983)
We are now entering autumn in my neck of the woods. It's also raining outside. The only way I could possibly enjoy this album more is basking in the warm sunshine of a mid-summers day, while lying in a field and staring at the clouds. The two sides of this album are named "morning" and "afternoon" to reflect the mood of those parts of the day. This is an ambient album which is mostly piano and woodwind, but also makes great use of field recordings of birdsong, sheep, and distant church bells.

The Durutti Column - LC (1981)
The vast majority of you are well aware of the "post-punk" tag, that umbrella term which ties together a vast variety of music in the years following the demise of the original wave of punk. Despite this album being tagged as post-punk, it's as far removed from punk as an early 80's album tagged as post-punk could possibly get. What I do hear in this album however is the seeds of dream pop being planted, and faint glimpses of post-rock. The mood and atmosphere of this album, coupled with the sparse vocals, make for an immersive listen.