Music Banter - View Single Post - Racism (Yeah, that's right: I'm callin' it!)
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 05:15 AM   #97 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Oh, I thought Tinkers were the poor Irish. Or people who didn't or couldn't buy a house, and rather travel in covered wagon, kinda like how people in the US live in mobile trailers.
I guess "tinker" is a word that came, more or less as you say, to be identified with actual gypsies who fixed things for you and did indeed move from place to place in caravans. However, you'd have to be here to know. If you took a look into one of these "knacker"'s caravans (they're more like trailers, as you say; they really don't travel at all) you'd see the very best in furnishings, electronics, all mod cons: not really the kind of thing that would make you say "Aw! How sad! Is this all they can afford?" Poor is not a word you ascribe to them, though they will often play on that, carrying babies around and dressing in rags, then going home to their mansions on wheels.

Anyway, as I already said, it's something you'll never understand unless you're Irish. We're all NIMBYs here.
Quote:
How do you feel about the Protestant Irish and/or the Catholic Irish? The group you don't identify with.
Have no problem with them, (I'm raised a Catholic but I'm not a practicing one, and I believe people should be able to follow whatever religion or church or god they want) but when the UVF (Ulster Volunteer Force) were killing as many people as the IRA, I hated them both. I kind of have a little sneaking contempt for Unionists, who want to remain part of the UK. I mean, it's our island, right? But I would have no problem talking to, dealing with or being friends with a Proddy. None at all. I think the whole sectarian thing has cost more lives, more misery and more bad press for Ireland than almost anything in our history. And it's ****ing stupid. Who cares if it's the Union Jack or the Tricolour that flies above Stormont?