Music Banter - View Single Post - The Random Album Club: Week 1
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

If someone can tell me the difference between djent and post-rock I'd be in their debt, as this sounded more like the latter. Probably not a great choice to have an almost completely instrumental album to kick us off, but then that's the nature of random.

Anyway, while there's nothing about this I hated, I couldn't honestly say there was anything about it that I loved either. It was ok. Being instrumental makes it hard to pick out favourite tracks, and as with many instrumental albums I just really listened to it in the background. Starts off well, but kind of devolves into genericity fairly quickly. I do like the closer though (is that Waits on it? Hardly) as it's not only the only one with vocals (even if they are spoken not sung) but it has a nice atmospheric feel about it that the rest of the album doesn't seem to have. Word to the wise: it's eight minutes long but cuts out around five. Keep listening though, as it either comes back in or it's a hidden track, but there is more.

Definitely better than a meh, and if I listened to it a few more times I might get more into it. I'm just not that inclined to.

5/10