Music Banter - View Single Post - Micshazam's album and song picks
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
And here I come with Marillion info!

First, Misplaced Childhood was their third and most commercially successful album and contained their two big hits of the time, "Kayleigh" and "Lavender" (their other was "Sugar Mice" off the next album) so that may be why you recognise the cover. You realise of course that MC is a concept album? That's why all the tracks flow into each other, and it makes it a little difficult to appraise tracks on their own. Still, I'm glad you seem to have enjoyed it. Definitely one of their better ones and the most commercial by a long way.

The singer on that one, and Fugazi, is called Fish (real name Derek Dick) and he lasted with them till the fourth album, whereafter he was replaced by Steve Hogarth, whom you heard on the Made Again album. I don't actually know that one but I see the second side is a full run-through of Brave, their 1994 effort and one of my alltime favourites of theirs, my number being their debut. After Fish left Marillon toned back on much of the progressive rock elements and turned in a more kind of pop/rock direction, which you probably noticed on Made Again. Brave is their darkest album, another concept album, centred this time around child abuse, and well worth looking into.

I'm glad you didn't dismiss them out of hand. Their earlier efforts are very Genesisesque, yes, but I don't mind that. They certainly evolved a little over the span of their career. And yes, Fish comes from the Peter Gabriel/Peter Hammill school of singers.
I'm checking out some of their Steve Hogarth albums when I come back to Marillion again eventually. They're one of those many bands that seem very familiar to me - like I've heard about them a lot and know their album art and band logo - but somehow I don't really know the music.

I did see Youtube suggest several 'Fish' albums, so now I can see why.

Last edited by MicShazam; 09-04-2017 at 11:53 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote