Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Stands for Decibels" by The dB's
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
TechnicLePanther
and the livin' is easy...

I actually really love this album. I heard it for the first time a few years ago and it didn't do much for me. However, upon listening to it again more recently, I began to notice a lot more songwriting-wise that I found really intriguing. In terms of performance, I would definitely agree with those who are saying it's nothing particularly spectacular, but I don't tend to focus much on the quality of performance anyways.

The jangly style of this album, while it can grate after a little while, does provide some opportunity for some excellent songwriting to shine through, and I think it really does on this one. If the entire album was as superbly written as "Black and White", this album would certainly be a masterpiece. As it is, there are some good tracks and some not so good tracks. Among the best I'd list: "Black and White", "Dynamite", "She's Not Worried", "Cycles Per Second", and "Moving In Your Sleep". And of course there are some more generic and less interesting songs such as: "Espionage", "Tearjerkin'", and "Big Brown Eyes". I still consider these songs good however.

And that's really just it for me with this album, while nothing on here except perhaps "Black and White" is anything exceedingly great, each song on the album is at least good. And that's the kind of consistency that I look for in my favorite albums. 8/10

On my list of favorite to least favorite albums:

Naked City - Radio
The dB's - Stands for Decibels
Glenn Branca - The Ascension

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote