Music Banter - View Single Post - The Environmental Watchdog MasterThread
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #131 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Thanks for taking the time to explain your attitude to climate change, MicShazam.

Yes, unfortunately it's a depressing topic and the more seriously you consider the reality of global warming and its possible consequences, the more worrying it gets. That said, none of us are politicians, none of us have much responsibility beyond our own personal behaviour, so my advice would be, Don't lose sleep, Don't get depressed, but at the same time consider nudging your behaviour in a more eco-friendly direction.

CDs apart, (haha) you can try to shop for local produce or try some of these things that I posted earlier:-
Quote:

In case you want to check back on those suggestions, they were:-
i) plant a tree (or some climbing greenery over your house)
ii) switch to energy saving lightbulbs ( and turn off lights, etc that you don't need)
iii) turn off the bathroom tap while you are brushing your teeth ( and don't over-wash your house, etc.)
iv) sell your car ( or at least car pool, switch to a hybrid, and stop joy riding)
v) become a vegetarian (or at least cut down on beef, switching to poultry or fish instead)

The stuff in brackets are my ideas, btw.
The good news is that small modifications in your habits may make you feel better about global warming. You won't have averted disaster by yourself but you may find that your own conscience will become calmer. It's all part of a piece of one-line philosophy that I picked up years ago:-

"Happiness is not acheived by the pursuit of pleasure, but by modifying your conduct to accord with your principles."

__________________________________________________ ______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
TIL that cargo ships (of which there are only a handful) account for more pollution than all of the world's cars. So for the love of god cut those fancy imports out of your life.
^ That's a surprising statistic. Sorry to be slow, but I can't think what "TIL" means.