Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Stands for Decibels" by The dB's
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 09:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in?
'Ugghh, I'm not use to this band.'

2. What did you think of the opening track?
The very first few seconds they were R.E.M.-ish, but then the vocals happened.

3. What did you think of the next track?
XTC with annoying vocals?

4. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?
When the singer sings "I" in the first song, that split second, it totally reminds me of Fox on the Run by Sweet.

5. Did the music (only) generally appeal to you, or not?
It was so so.

6. Did the album get better or worse as you listened to it?
Both? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. What did you think of the lyrical content?
IDK ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Did you like the instrumental parts?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

9. What did you think of the production?
Have Brian Wilson or Nick Lowe produce it.

10. Did you know of this artiste prior to listening to the album, and if so, did that foreknowledge colour your perception of this album?
I know I've seen their name before somewhere for sure ... um maybe tape decks? No but seriously. I think I heard of their name before but not their music.

11. Is this, generally, the kind of music you listen to or not?
I don't know where this band is at. I like R.E.M. and a bunch of bands out at the same time.

12. Assuming you listened to the album more than once, on repeated listens, did you find you liked the album more, or less?
Repeated? Right now I am struggling to make it through album just once. My goal is to listen to the album straight through without switching over to another album by another band.

13. What would you class as your favourite track, if you have one?
Black and White. Because it starts off kinda R.E.M.-ish and when the singer sings "I" it totally reminds me of Fox on the Run by Sweet.

14. And the one you liked least?
eww, I didn't not study the album hard enough to make the correct negative value judgement to properly answer that question.

15. If the album in question is a debut, did that fact allow it, in your mind, any leeway, and if so, was that decision justified or vindicated?
The album is a debut. But that shouldn't change or modify opinions.

16. Are you now looking forward to hearing more from this artiste, if you have not heard any of their other material?
Probably not, to be honest. But if I say I won't do something I probably end up doing it, so I might.

17. Were you surprised by your reaction - positive or negative - to the album?
Yes, I am surprised by my reaction. I feel like I am leaning to the not-too-receptive-to-the-album side. I want to be receptive, I really do, cause I am sure the guy who picked it really digs it.

18. Did the album end well?
I wasn't there to find out.

19. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?
Um yeah. Have Brian Wilson or Nick Lowe produce it.

20. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?
Egads, I'm not sure, maybe hit-and-miss.

3/10 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 09-09-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote