Music Banter - View Single Post - The Random Album Club: Week 1
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Woman Mother Earth Sky
Artist: Roberta Chevrette
Year: 2003
Genre: Folk
Nationality: American
Discography: Two albums
Position in discography: First (debut)

Female folk acoustic acts are ten-a-penny, so why is everyone (apparently) raving over this one? Not sure to be honest. It's decent music but nothing that, so far (only three or four tracks in) makes me really sit up. She plays the guitar well, but it's a little annoying that there's no information on her either on Wiki or Discogs, and nothing really on RYM either. Searching on Google brought me to the bio of a chemist, Dr. Roberta Chevrette, and it took some filtering before I could find out who the hell this was. Honestly: if you want to be known, get your ****ing information out there, you know? It's very frustrating, digging through pages of irrelevancies to try to find out who the **** this person is? Sort of puts me in a bad mood, which isn't the best frame of mind when reviewing a new album.

Anyway, there appear to be Country/Bluegrass influences on this album, which gives it a nice rustic feel, kind of stripped down as it were. "Restless" is the first track that really stands out to me, bringing in the influences mentioned above. After that I begin to wilt a little; it's getting quite boring now. It's not that it's necessarily bad, it's just all a little too much the same. I don't see why anyone's repping her: nothing new here. So far anyway. Oh Christ! Now she thinks she's Gil Scott-Heron. I'm almost ready to bail at this point.

Okay, "Can you hear this" is quite nice, soft and haunting with some really nice flute. Yeah, next one's good too. Maybe I'll hang around a little longer, see where this goes. "Indulge" is good, getting somewhat of a slightly harder edge as the album goes on. Oh dear, another spoken word piece again. Sigh. These really don't work, not for me anyway. Feels like she's trying to be edgy just to be edgy. Oh, and the delayed echo is really ****ing annoying too. All right, maybe it was clever how the two voices suddenly merged into a double-one, but I still don't see it. "Enlightenment" just annoys me even more. What the **** is this? Really losing interest, and patience, now. "Bending" is better, and we're near the end now, but it's been a bit of a struggle. Not really for me.