Music Banter - View Single Post - The Environmental Watchdog MasterThread
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #140 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

What the **** are you, my long-lost Danish brother??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
At least I've got a few of these under control:

i) plant a tree (or some climbing greenery over your house)
Not really an option where I live, but I did get some potted plants earlier this year, for what it's worth.
Did this too. About six I think. I have to water them every day and feed them once a week (usually there are hobos in the area so we don't go short of a food sup - ah, forget I said that). Can't really plant trees due to Karen's extension leaving us very little garden, and we're on a council estate so no front garden. Also I think you need permission from the Corpo to do anything like that.
Quote:

ii) switch to energy saving lightbulbs ( and turn off lights, etc that you don't need)

Always did this, so at least that might have earned me a tiny bit of good climate karma.
Same here. Hate lights being on if nobody is in the room.
Quote:
iii) turn off the bathroom tap while you are brushing your teeth ( and don't over-wash your house, etc.)
This too, except I have a runny faucet that I still haven't gotten fixed.
Always did, and I have the same problem as you, though the Corpo are due to give us a new washbasin so that will hopefully sort that.
Quote:
iv) sell your car ( or at least car pool, switch to a hybrid, and stop joy riding)
Don't own a car, never have. I either walk or take a bus.
Ditto
Quote:
v) become a vegetarian (or at least cut down on beef, switching to poultry or fish instead)
Never really cared much for cow meat so that's always something. I only recently cut down on swine meat in protest of how Danish meat manufacturers use FAR too much antibiotics - producing multi resistant virae in the process. Something scientists warn might well lead to the biggest problem of our time, even in the face of climate change. Talks about a "post antibiotics era" have me worried. We just really **** everything up in the pursuit of money, don't we?
Can't say I do this, but I only occasionally eat burgers; it's more chicken and usually in pies, then pizza, the odd stew (mince or coddle). But I hate veggies. I'm allergic to them. No, I am, really. I have a note from my doctor ... somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
What? No, I was responding to Lisnaholic's suggestions and the one about planting trees isn't an option where I live since I just have an apartment in an area where everything is concrete and tiled sidewalks. I couldn't plant a tree here if I wanted to. I could theoretically go out in the country side somwhere and dig a hole and drop a pine cone in it, but I'm not sure that would accomplish anything.

Denmark used to be about 99% covered in forest back in the stone age. Now it's 99% boring, flat farmland. I wish we had more trees.
Surely you've heard of ninety-degree angle apartment trees you can plant? You're just looking for excuses now!