Music Banter - View Single Post - The Random Album Club: Week 2
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Daydream
Artist: Mariah Carey
Year: 1995
Genre: R&B, Pop
Nationality: American
Discography: Fourteen albums
Position in discography: Fifth

One thing I can't stand about this woman is her popularisation of what I call the “stretching to infinity” of phrases when she sings: you know the kind of thing - “Woah-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-ohhhhhhhhh!” and so on. Drives me nuts. I also don't personally think she's that great a singer. But, the above may have coloured my perception of her music, so let's give this a chance before we shred it, huh? You know, “Underneath the stars” wouldn't be so cringey if she didn't “infinitise” it up at the end. “Underneath the ground” would be better. Oh look: another ballad following it. Is that her singing? Surely not! That's a guy, no? Well, Men. Well, Boyz II Men. Oh, you know what I mean. Some singer in a band who were mildly successful around this time and ... oh ****! Speech a la Barry White except nowhere near as good. Man this is terrible. Boyband + Mariah = Barfbag please.

Oh ****ing Hell no! She's covering Journey's “Open Arms”??? Someone kill this woman! A terrible crime has been committed. Good lord: can this woman not sing without sounding like someone's slapping her repeatedly on the back? She's a human vibrato machine! Ugh. Okay, “I am free” is a nice kind of gospel-ly ballad, but she does ruin it by strrrrretttcching every syllable to its utmost. I mean, why? What purpose does it serve? Has she been told every song must be twice as long as its recorded version to fill up the CD or something? Ah sigh. “Forever” isn't terrible, but I'm not gong to be running out buying any Mariah Carey records. Ever. Unless it's to set fire to them in a desperate attempt to save mankind's ears. I'm the hero you need.

Well, I'm the only one you're getting, anyway.